Thursday, January 27, 2011

wondering about wandering...

You may be wondering about the title of my blog. To many, it probably looks like a bunch of random letters but I assure you that like most unusual things, there is a story behind it. But first and foremost let me introduce myself you to:

My name is HeartSounds and like my blog title there is a story behind my name as well. I've been playing the piano for about as far back as my first memory. I've learned a lot about notes, music theory, chords etc. but the notes themselves are not what make the music beautiful.. A song without the transfer of emotion from one heart to another is robotic, impersonal and meaningless. When one can share their happiness, love, or sorrow, through sound, that is music at its best.

For six years I was homeschooled with my sister by our mom, but when I got to the eighth grade I wanted something new, so I decided to give highschool a shot. Talk about culture shock! Quickly I found out I didn't have much in common with the majority of kids my age, also that highschool is nothing like the movies. Your every day was scheduled down to the last minute and I felt trapped, and many of the students didn't want to be there or learn at all, where as I wanted to! So I looked for alternatives and found out about Duel Enrollment with a near by college. So technically I am a junior in highschool but I don't have to go there anymore! I go to college full time and it is the best decision I've made.

This new semester I was learning about the theories of our solar system over the past hundreds of years in an Earth Systems Science course. My teacher mentioned the term " πλάνητες ἀστέρες " - planetēs astérēs - meaning wandering stars in Greek. The term was created due to confusion looking up into the heavens wayyy back in Ptolemy's time and the realization that some stars would randomly move and seem to have no rhyme or reason to it. Later years we learn it is the retrograde of the planets moving around the sun at different speeds in different orbits. But I thought the term "planetēs astérēs" was an interesting parallel to my life. Although I am one in many, like a star, I still have the potential to shine and be different, to wander through life "aimlessly" or "without pattern" in the here and now, yet in the bigger picture, God has a plan through everything I go through and in each part or the "sky of life" I travel through. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, i love this idea and i hope you stick with it. Dedication can be hard sometimes so i pray that you remember to come back and update this every once in a while, and that it helps strengthen your relationship with God and your music:)
    P.S: First Comment yayy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that when you listen to nature you hear the Creator's music (I found that in your profile). I do too! Isn't it beauty-FULL?! That ability you have & your blog title remind of me of lyrics to a favorite hymn: "This is my Father's world - and to my listening ears - all nature sings and 'round me rings - the music of the spheres...."

    ReplyDelete